Monday, May 23, 2011

A Happy Decision

I must admit, there was a time when another person's good fortune was not necessarily cause for celebration in my own life. Upon news of a friend getting a new car or landing a cushy job I would muster a fake smile while inside harboring pangs of jealousy. Upon feeling such negative emotions, I would then ultimately feel guilty for not being able to just celebrate their achievements. Sounds awfully silly to spin into a downward spiral of negativity in response to good news doesn't it? Yet, I suspect you can relate.

Unfortunately jealousy is an all too common emotion for the human ego. We all want to be happy, and deep down we fear that there may not be enough joy and prosperity to go around. If my friend has success, love, power, etc., then that leaves less for me. Although that's a pretty logical theory based on the laws of supply and demand, it just doesn't hold true to the manner by which true happiness and abundance grow.

The truth is that joy is unlimited. We all have access to it. We all can obtain as much as we want of it. And, somewhat ironically, the more we aid others in finding it, the more it flows to us naturally. All it takes is deciding to share happiness.

That "happy decision" has opened up a world of abundance for me. When I focus on sharing in other people's successes, I am overwhelmed with all the good in the world. I know it sounds a bit sappy, but beyond the sentimental aspect of it, there is a scientific phenomenon, the law of attraction, that says like attracts like. So, it makes perfect sense that sharing joy multiplies its effects.

If you don't believe me just give it a try. The next time you learn of someones good fortune say out loud "I am so happy for you!" and mean it. Really think about what their happiness must feel like and experience it right alongside them. I guarantee the joy will spread within you. And, as you exude such positive energy into the universe it will come back to you in good time with your own happy news. You've got nothing to lose - accept of course jealousy and guilt.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a valuable lesson in living. Whenever I find myself comparing my life, any aspect of it, to that of others, I know that I'm veering from my true path. Thank you for voicing this with honesty.

WebHealthWriter.com - Michelle Traub said...

It was hard to admit to. I hate to think that I ever compare myself to others or feel envy - but I think it is a natural instinct. It is especially hard to be honest with ourselves in terms of negative emotions, but I am coming to understand that only when we face our bad behaviors head-on can we really change them and move past them. Thanks for your support on that notion.