Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Five Days of Giving Thanks - Day #1 - Health

It's the last official countdown day until Thanksgiving and it hasn't been easy narrowing down the final "thing" to be thankful for. Of course there are shoe-ins like family & friends, but I'm reserving tomorrow to celebrate them. There is also acceptance, which has become increasingly important in my life lately. And, I am also thankful for a myriad of simple things like nature, sunshine, flowers, music. These all may sound a bit cheesy, but I am unabashedly cheesy, and I'm thankful for that too.

However, what REALLY makes me thank God, the universe, and whatever other powers out there that are controlling this crazy karmic adventure called life, is HEALTH. It is by far the blessing that I have become most grateful for, mostly because it doesn't always come easily. Since I have several autoimmune diseases, my health waxes and wanes, often on a day-to-day basis. This may sound like something I should be lamenting, and believe me I have spent plenty of time wallowing in self pity. But, ultimately, anytime you lose something, you cherish it all the more when it returns. So, days when I feel healthy and happy are the greatest gifts. There is nothing better than feeling good. Period.

I am actually even a little grateful for illness as well. After all, having illness helps me to see things from a totally different perspective. It has enabled me to develop an incredible amount of empathy and compassion for others. In short - I just finally get it. Sometimes I find myself giving advice to a friend or acquaintance who is going through a rough time, and they suddenly look at me with this expression that says, "how did you know?" I realize at that moment that my ability to understand what it's like to experience challenges is a real gift that can help others. And, I'm sure you know that helping others feels great.   

As they say, life is all relative. My highs have been higher simply because my lows have been so incredibly low. And, better still, I have been learning so much through the Integrative Health & Healing program, that even my lows are rising. Meaning, even on my bad days, my tired days, I have developed so many skills for coping that I feel better and stronger. I know that autoimmune disease is incurable, but I also know that the human spirit is incredibly resilient and I can have a disease without letting it have me.

I woke up feeling awful today. I had a terrible night of sleep due to a lingering sinus infection. But, I had time to sleep in, do Emei Qigong, and listen to healing music. By the time my sister and her family arrived for a pre-Thanksgiving meal I was feeling great. The joy of their company, good food, lots of laughs, and a few Margaritas later and I am feeling totally healthy - mind, body and spirit. Now that is something to be thankful for!

No comments: